Monday, May 11, 2009

Cairo- First Impressions





My First Arrival

So After having been with the Sakkara Group for approx: 20 Days I was finally Travelling to Cairo to meet every one at the Head Office. Departed India on Emirates Nice Stopover in Dubai and then I landed up in Cairo.
My First impression of Cairo Airport was, I want to Turn back, Small Airport not the usual ones I was used to in Europe, Just as I was feeling a little lost, Some one approached me and asked me if I was Vishal Mehra?? wow what a relief. He took my Passport and after about 10 Minutes we were thru the Immigrations and on the belt to pick up my Bag. That went better than expected and definitely much better than Indian Airports where in the name of the Security we don't permit people to enter the Immigrations and Customs area.
Finally luggage arrived and since I was timing it the whole process from Deplaning till clearing customs took a total of 20 Minutes.
Bright Sun, Lots of cars and Director Tourism Mr. Nessim all waiting outside to greet me, and the first feeling I had was, I was Home, the way the Egyptians had met me, they were just like us Indians. After Hugs and welcome I was whisked away to my Hotel the J W MARRIOTT. The drive was interesting since apart from India and Nepal I hadn't really seen those many donkeys out on the road and the People drove in a Happy go lucky manner just like India. Arriving at the JW MARRIOTT which also happens to be a Sakkara Group hotel, one feels like he is entering another City. It is truly amazing in every respect.

To say that the City of Cairo is crowded would be an Understatement, All one sees is People and Cars. If it moves it is out there on the road, from 1975 model cars to 7 Series BMW's it all there jostling for space on the crowded Streets of Cairo. Being stuck in the Traffic is the Norm and one could spend up to an hour for what is normally a 20-25 Minute drive. But If you happen to love watching people, it is great fun as it is like watching a never ending movie. Animated discussions, a game of Dominoes, arguments and what not.

I loved it.

The one thing that we remember the longest about any place that we visit are not the sites, not the Hotels but the People whom we have met and the Food.
It was here in Cairo that I met up with people whom even 2 Years later I choose to call my Family and the Food well it is truly amazing.

So next time I shall go to the Pyramids and the Other Sites that I visited. Till then Ciao.


No comments:

Post a Comment